Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Ten Guilty Pleasures.

I was thinking of what to blog about next so I went Chris Brogan's web blog once again to get an idea. Number 40 on his 100 Blog Entries list is Ten Guilty Pleasures.

Let's face it. Whether we admit it or not, we all have our own guilty pleasures. Isn't that the truth? There are just some things that we enjoy even though we shouldn't. Or at least, not enjoy it as much as we
really do.

And so, without further ado, I give you my ten guilty pleasures.


10. Books, books, and more books.
I am a self-proclaimed bookworm. I have been collecting good books and been reading them since I can remember. How did this become a guilty pleasure? Here's the thing. As much as I love reading them, I have the tendency to buy books even if I still have a few at home that I haven't even opened yet. I don't know. It's the thrill of investing on good reads that gets me going.

9. Footwear
Another thing I don't mind spending my money on is on footwear. Chucks, sandals, flip flops, stilettos, flats...my current count is 25 pairs. Each size 9 pair neatly placed in its box. It's not that bad, one might think. But for someone like me who occasionally goes out and rarely finds time to chill out, it's an awfully lot. When I get my own place, I swore to myself that I'd be allocating a huge space for my shoes. Probably a closet. Haha!

8. SALE!
No matter where I go -- whether it's SM, Robinson's Place, Greenbelt, Glorietta, Rustan's -- when I find out that there's a sale, I will definitely be there! Contrary to popular belief, I don't really splurge. I don't go to a mall and spend my salary in one day. No, that's not how I go. Of course there's a budget, but sometimes, I get caught up with the beauty of buying something on sale, I go a little over the budget. Tsk tsk.


7. Food

Whose list of guilty pleasures doesn't include food? Come on! Food is always a guilty pleasure for me. Not that I'm overweight or anything. As a matter of fact, it's just recently that I was able to maintain my ideal weight. For someone like me, a 22-year-old, 5'3"-tall lady, I eat a lot. I eat as much as I cook. Whether it's Italian, Japanese, Filipino -- you name it, I'd eat almost anything. Of course, there are some food I can't eat. And I mean I can't since I'm watching my food intake to avoid kidney stones again. There are just days when I just had to eat what I can't...like nuts, chicharon, junk food. Definitely unhealthy for me.


6. Traveling
As much of a home buddy that I am, I can also island-hop as much as possible. It all started with overnight trips to Batangas, Laguna, Pampanga...and then I'm off travelling to Boracay, Bicol, Puerto Galera, Bohol for at least a week. And it was all before I worked in SEAIR. Hahaha! Such an expensive way to enjoy a vacation. Travelling is good, yes. But not if you have a limited budget like I do.

5. Romantic movies

I am such a hopeless romantic! I admit it...I am so in love with the idea of falling in love that it's so easy for me to cry at any romantic movies. From the immortal love story of Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet to the modern day fairy tale of Enchanted...trust me, I've shed a tear or two on every romantic film I've seen in the cinema.


4. The internet

It's not such a secret to anyone that I'm online almost always. Whether I'm at home or at work, I'm online. It's not only that I want to...it's also because I need to. Haha! Seriously, I know that it's not good to be in front of the computer or laptop for almost 24 hours but I can't help it. It's as if it's a reflex. Once I get to work or once I got home, I turn on the PC or my laptop and there I go...surfing the net as if I have a plan for the whole day. No wonder my blog is updated almost daily. '

3. Vanity and beauty products
I am vain! That is the honest to goodness truth. I am so vain that I don't want anyone touching my hair, especially when I've just spent such a long time brushing it to "perfection." Hahaha! Like I've always said, "Guluhin mo na buhay ko, wag lang ang buhok ko." That's how much of a vain I am. I'm not really the type who cares so much about the latest hairstyle or the trendiest fashion. But I do care a lot about how I present myself. Every month, I go to the parlor and get a hair spa so my hair will be bouncy and shiny. I get a trim every quarter so I don't get split ends. Vain enough for you? That's not the end of it. For my face, I buy Eskinol facial wash and facial cleanser almost every other month. It is a must that I have these two or else my evening routine is ruined. Make up is not really a necessity for me. I'm not one to apply a heavy make up. Just a touch of blush, application of pressed powder and a smack of lip balm and I'm good to go. Nonetheless, if ever I buy cosmetics, Care Line is the way to go for me. Of course, I wouldn't mind if my friends and family would give me MAC or Maybelline or Revlon.


2. Tennis

Not that I'm playing the sport. But watching it is as addictive as playing. Grand Slam tournaments are always a must-see for me. I would wake up so early in the morning just so I could watch a match. I would stay up all night just to finish the match. Just a few months ago, I watched the Wimbledon finals between Nadal and Federer. The match started at 9:30PM (Manila time, of course) and I stayed up until 4:30 in the morning the next day just so I can see Nadal win the title! Yes, yes, I was definitely having a hangover when I went to work but to me, everything was worth it. Even if I lost the sleep I needed to get me going through the day. How could I resist? With players like Nadal, it's obvious why I watch the sport.


1. Starbucks

It all started in 2006 when I made caffeine a habit and Starbucks was the only coffee shop that could satisfy my need for coffee. Yes, it's true. Coffee is sort of a "must" for me. To get me going. Caffeine stunting my growth did not scare me. I was tall enough for my age. If I wasn't able to drink coffee at home, I'd make sure that I get one at work. Starbucks is the way to go. The hot white chocolate mocha is my vulnerability. Well, a mocha frappuccino will do but the white choco mocha is my drink. Damn! The price I would pay to drink coffee.


And that, my dear readers, are my ten guilty pleasures.

Care to share yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment