Sunday, August 17, 2008

Being a Geisha.

I am having second thoughts on whether or not I should be blogging about it. I feel that I would come off as narcissistic when word gets out about this particular entry. But I guess I'm entitled to a momentary lapse. Maybe it's the vanity talking, I'm not sure but whatever it is, I just have to let it out.

The past week, I have this awkward feeling that I am like a geisha. It's absolutely absurd, I know, but in a way, it feels good. That despite second-guessing yourself, you are still capable of attracting someone.

"You cannot call yourself a true geisha until you can stop a man in his tracks with a single look." The very words of Mameha when she was teaching Sayuri about being a geisha. Call me crazy, but each day for the past week, there were moments when I felt I was the beautiful Sayuri.

Monday, August 11
Work day was over and I was walking from the office to Ayala Avenue so I could take the bus up to Buendia LRT. On my way there, I stopped by Greenbelt Chapel to hear mass. I remember the Gospel so well, "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you." Maybe it was my subconscious, I was thinking about finding love. I prayed to the Lord, "I'm not asking You to send him to me now but I pray He'll find me in the most unexpected time." At that moment, I felt someone was watching me. I looked behind me and there was a guy staring at me. Actually, it wasn't any guy. It was Jason, a seminarian I know from San Isidro Church. He was one the guys I could stare at for a while, if given the chance. Hehe. I looked back at the Lord's image up on the ceiling. I could just imagine Him laughing at the thought, I smiled and silently prayed, "that's a funny one, Lord."

Tuesday, August 12
I was running a little late for work. I left home at 9:15 in the morning and I had to be in the office at 10:00. There was no chance to wait for another bus so I had to take the one waiting by the bus stop before it went. There weren't people standing, fortunately, but I was kind of bummed out that there were no seats left somewhere in front, if not in the middle section. Just when I was about to go to the back seat, a guy (and a good-looking one, at that) courteously stood up and offered me to take his seat. I felt myself blush at his gesture, all I could do was smile and say, "thank you." He just looked at me and smiled back as he went to seat in the far end.

Wednesday, August 13
Once again, I was on my way home, taking my usual route. I was minding my own business, listening to music as I walked the calming walkways of Greenbelt. I passed by Ayala Museum Cafe. I wasn't doing anything. I was merely glancing here and there to see what's going on around me. The moment I glanced at the cafe, a waiter stood beside me, smiled, and said, "Hi Ma'am, good afternoon! Care for some coffee?" It was a little uncanny, I must admit. Waiters never said that. Nonetheless, I simply smiled back at him.

Thursday, August 14
I was craving for Japanese food so I decided to eat at Teriyaki Boy. It took an order of ebi tempura, tamago sushi and bottomless iced tea to satisfy my craving. Three words: I-was-full. Haha! I don't know why but I just couldn't resist Japanese food. While I was eating my lunch (yes, alone), I couldn't help but notice there was this waiter who keeps looking at me. It wasn't in a weird stalker kind of way but...it did make me feel rather conscious. Then again, he was cute. Hehe. But still, the constant glimpses were starting to take effect on me. He was always the first one to come whenever my iced tea was already half empty. He was the one who took my order, who got my check and who said the usual, "Thank you for eating, Ma'am. Come again," when I was on my way out.

Friday, August 15
Compared to the past few days, this was probably the strangest day I've had since the week started. It happened during my lunch break. I passed by Glorietta 3 and saw laptops and digicams and MP3 players on display. I just happened to look at a few laptops, particularly the Acer Aspire One. Before I knew it, three guys were surrounding me: one was telling me the specs of the laptop, the other was showing the new brochure of electroworld, while the third guy was standing behind me, waving the brochure as if it was a fan. He kept saying, "Baka naiinitan pa kayo, Ma'am." Bloody irritating. I had to look at the guy irately just so he would stop.

Five days. I really did feel like I was a geisha during those moments. How funny it truly was.

Well, I guess that ends my entry now.


No comments:

Post a Comment