Thursday, November 27, 2008

Why I Wanted to Work in a Travel Magazine.

Everybody knows this about me: I am a young adult who took up political science and ended up working in a travel magazine as editorial assistant.

Kind of got off-track, you might say. For someone who took up a course that involved political affairs, you'd think that I choose working that
actually involved politics. But hey, ever since I started working in the magazine, have you ever heard me complain about my work? In spite of the tiring hours, I have never said anything but good about my job.

Truth is, writing is my passion. And though I've never said it out loud, I've always known that I'd be writing for a living. What I didn't realize was how much I am truly enjoying myself in my line of work.

It was during my stay in Kota Kinabalu that sealed the deal. I wanted to travel and I wanted to write about it. I've always wondered what it would be like. Traveling for a living and writing about it. So far? I'm loving it. Everything's right about the whole thing. You go to a place where you see all the wonderful sites, you take in everything about the destination...then in the end, you get to share all that by writing about your adventure.

Apart from my Kota Kinabalu stay, there was something else that pushed me to choose working for a travel magazine rather than a fashion mag. It was an article from Kerygma March 2008 issue.

"Travel for Less: Tips on Traveling on a Shoestring Budget." That was an article I loved to read because it was then that I realized...that's what I'm meant to do. To travel and to write. And what's not to love about the whole thing? You research, you inquire; despite the budget, you don't have to sweat about it because you're there to have an experience. Writer Cecilia Lim was absolutely right, "Traveling is not just a luxury." It's all about taking in the beauty of the destination.

And that, my friends, is why I wanted to work in a travel magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment