Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Random Thoughts of a Single Girl.

Lately, I've been talking to my cousin Ate Kriselle about weddings. Not only because my brother is getting married in January but also because she and her long time boyfriend will be tying the knot by late next year as well. And though I love discussing with her about receptions and themes and souvenirs and all the wedding stuff, I guess it could not be helped that my status as a single girl would come into place.

She asked me the funniest question last Sunday: "May boyfriend ka na kaya pag dating ng kasal ko?" I would have loved to have said yes to that question but the fact remains that I don't know and frankly speaking, I don't really care.

I don't care in the sense that I don't want to think about it every now and then. If and when I get a boyfriend, then that would be great. If not yet at this time, then it's fine.

So I've never had a boyfriend. Big deal. I'm not the only one who's like that. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of other people who are even older than I am who are still single. So there isn't any insecurity there, knowing that I am not the last single girl in this world.

Of course, people would then point out that I am partly at fault since I don't go out on dates. Hey, if I could, don't you think I would? Truth is, I'm not like the some people I know who would go out on a Friday night, have a drink with friends and then get asked out by a guy they barely know. More than that, I'm not the type of girl who would ask a guy out. That is just one big NO to me. Even if people say that's the "in" thing nowadays, to me, that is just not going to happen.

When it comes to finding a relationship, I believe in time taking its course. I'm not in a rush. I'm enjoying being single. The feeling that I only have to answer to my parents whenever I have to go elsewhere for work. The feeling of serenity that I don't have a "lover's spat" going on. I guess you could say, I still have much to enjoy as a single girl.

But yes, at times, I would think about "the boyfriend." I would like to take care of someone, I would love to cook for him, go shopping with him, go on dates with him, all that stuff. How could I not think about him if I'm being surrounded by people who talk about their better halves? I would love to be in a relationship, yes. In due time. In God's time.

I acknowledge that there are definitely ups and downs of being a single girl. But I wouldn't let the down side of it make me depressed or let the up side of it get to my head. Right now, I'm enjoying what I'm doing -- work. And somewhere along the way, I know that there's one person who would sweep me off my feet. But for now...

I'd like to enjoy my life... not sharing it with someone. I'd like to enjoy my being single.

Do you know that saying?

"Being single isn't bad. What is bad is giving up hope on finding that someone special."

Till then, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment