Saturday, August 08, 2009

My Pagsanjan Weekend Getaway

Ok. I have a feeling that I have to write something intellectual at this point -- given the whole situation with the passing of the former president Corazon Aquino. But bear with me for a moment. Let me share with you my experience with my friends last weekend when we went to Pagsanjan, Laguna.

I got the idea to go to Laguna when I wrote a news-feature on a newly-opened bed & breakfast in Pagsanjan.I was so intrigued by it that I talked my friend (and my food buddy) Emzi into coming with me. She was so excited that she brought along her friend, Angge. It was decided then -- August 1-2, the three of us will go and stay in Villa Doña Luisa and see what Pagsanjan has to offer.

August 1
We met up at the Green Star bus terminal at 9:30AM. Although it was just then that I had met Angge, it was like we've known each other for a while. It was pretty easy for us to get along, we do share something in common -- food. Our journey begins, and so does our non-stop conversations on random things.

After 5 hours of rain, a bus ride, 3 jeepney rides and a free tricycle ride, Emzi, Angge and I finally reached our destination: Villa Doña Luisa in Hocson corner Garcia Street, Pagsanjan, Laguna. We were all very happy and very excited. There we were -- 3 young travelers, hungry, tired, but still ready to explore! We got there, greeted by the administrator in charge, Tita Aileen. She even gave us a tour of the place. It was absolutely wonderful. Like a home away from home. We entered the Luisa Room, which is actually the Master's bedroom there. The vibrant colors simply took my breath away! I was very happy!

After putting our stuff down, we ate a very late lunch. Chopsuey! I loved it! Simply because it was truly lutong bahay. Before going out, my friends and I talked about how we were going to go about the rest of the day. Yes, even the rain wasn't going to hinder us from our adventure!

Upon leaving the bed & breakfast, Emzi, Angge and I just went where our feet would take us. It was like seeing things during the colonial times. The roads, the old-fashioned homes (most particularly the ancestral home of Don Porong Ejercito), the church, the very delicious foods! Everything was just beautiful.

We ate dinner at Dura-Fe Restaurant. Surprise, surprise! We thought we were ordering a la carte; lo and behold, everything we ordered was good for 3-4 people. But hey, we're food lovers, we ate and ate and ate until there was nothing left to eat.

Hehehe. Afterwards, we went to Emma's Kakanin, where we bought so many delicacies. We were even fortunate to meet Lola Emma, who began her kakanin business when she was still 15. More than 6 decades later, I can honestly say, she makes some of the most delicious delicacies!

That wasn't enough, of course. We were intrigued by this place called "Aling Taleng's Halo Halo Since 1933." So we braved the heavy rains and went there. Their halo-halo was really one of the best halo-halos I've ever had! From what I could savor, the ingredients were kaong, tubo, mongo beans, leche flan, macapuno and kondol. Oh! And their milk! Yummy! I can honestly say, your Pagsanjan visit wouldn't be complete if you haven't tried their halo-halo.

We went back to Villa Doña Luisa around 8:00 in the evening. Yes, it was still raining. Walking back to our place, the streets were practically empty, except maybe for a couple of drivers here and there. We didn't mind people were looking at us because we were walking in the rain without our umbrellas.

When we got back to our room, we each took a shower, hopped onto bed and watched television until we slept.

August 2
I woke up at 7:30 in the morning. My sleep was so heavenly. It was just relaxing! I love that feeling of peace when waking up. Emzi and Angge were already awake. I guess I'm just too tired from work the past week that I slept the whole night through.

We only had a few hours left before we go back to Manila so the three of us ate breakfast (once again, delicious lutong bahay), fixed all our stuff and went to the ancestral house next door. Hehehe...our last minute camera-tripping! Around 1:00 in the afternoon, we went to the Green Star bus terminal and head home.

Yey! Such a wonderful weekend!

Next stop: Davao!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie! Gano katagal yung travel papuntang Pagsanjan? I haven't been there in a long time, sobrang nakalimutan ko na.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete