Thursday, December 17, 2009

Misa De Gallo 2009.

It's almost 6:00 in the morning and I have just gotten back from the second day of Misa de Gallo.

Every year, I make it a point to complete the Misa de Gallo. Not because I believe that if and when you complete it, you can make a wish and it will come true. I do it because I want to. Simple as that. It was easy in the beginning, when I was younger. I would always go with my parents whenever they'd go to church to hear mass for this 9-day novena before Christmas. I was a student then so my time's pretty much fixed.

But that was then. Now that I am working, my schedule could go haywire anytime. So I had to resort to attending the dawn masses. Don't get me wrong, nothing about this is a complain on my part. I love waking up in the morning and devoting the early hours of my day to the Lord. The point of this blog entry is to share with you my experience of attending this annual Christmas tradition.

I was raised by my parents to never miss a Sunday mass, any holy day of obligation, and of course, the simbang gabi. Despite being a very curious child, about this one, I never questioned why. I just knew that this is my devotion to the Lord. I never complained attending mass. As a matter of fact, I loved it that I had joined the church choir.

Nowadays, I'm not as active as I used to be. Given my work that can have me going places at any time, I make up for the times I don't join the choir. I used to be part of the choir in Sto. NiƱo de Paz Chapel, otherwise known to us as the Greenbelt Chapel. I was a member for 2 years, from my second year until I graduated high school.

Since I was a member of the choir, it is a "duty" to go to the dawn masses during the Advent season. And I loved every minute of it. Attending misa de gallo is an offering I like giving to the Lord. I don't care about making a wish and having it come true. That's not the reason why I go to mass. I believe that if I'm meant to have it, the Lord will provide. And for the past 23 years of my life, He has provided me well.

This year, I go to the 9-day novena before Christmas to thank the Lord for the numerous blessings He has showered upon myself and my family. I have done it then and for sure I will be doing the same in the years to come. Rest assured that when I also have a family of my own, I will raise my kids with the same traditions my parents have bestowed upon me.

This misa de gallo has helped me shape my character; it has made my faith stronger year in and year out. This is a Christmas tradition I wouldn't want my children to miss.

So I end my blog entry for the day. Just eight days left and it's Christmas.

I greet you all "Happy holidays!"

No comments:

Post a Comment